The immune system supplies us with a comprehensive anatomical barrier that works as a defense mechanism to hosts. The gastrointestinal tract is one of these barriers, using many defense mechanisms including gut flora (microbiota). The best way to benefit your immuse system is to plan meals that will fight off infection. For example, vitamin c-rich foods absorb free radicals; whereas heavily processed foods and sugar promote infection and do not support the microbiome.
Here are 6 super foods that help boost the immune system:
- Yellow Bell Peppers - Did you know that oranges aren't the best food source for vitamin C? While oranges only provide 78% DV, yellow bell peppers contain 152% DV of vitamin C. Who knew?
- Broccoli - Broccoli is high in vitamin A, C, and E. It also is high in sulforaphane which has been found to lower blood pressure in animals and support healthy inflammation pathways, stabalize blood, and cognative protection.
- Tumeric - Tumeric is a fantastic immune-boosting food in the way it supports healthy inflammatory pathways. Additionally, tumeric has anti-oxidative, anti-cytotoxic, and neurorestorative properties. What special component in tumeric makes the magic happen? Curcumin, and tumeric is the only food on this planet that contains curcumin.
- Green Tea - Ever feel relaxed after a nice cup of green tea? Tha's because it contains L-theanine, which promotes relaxation and helps form healthy T-cells. Flavonoids are also found in green tea which helps boost the immune system.
- Almonds - Almonds are packed with fat-soluble vitamin E. Vitamin E boosts the immune system due to it being a free radical hunting antioxidant.
- Guava - Guava season is coming soon, from November through April. Eating 400g of guava has been found to lower blood pressure as well as serum total cholesterol, triglycerides, and LDLc. Besides being loaded with 140% DV of vitamin C, guava is rich in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant which plays an important role in the enzymen activies of the immune system.
Dr. Maceo Powell
Dr. Maceo Powell is a native of Sarasota, Florida. He offers personalized specialized chiropractic care to help patients regain their health, be active and live life.